Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
In the winter, many families crank up their heating units to keep them nice and warm. Sadly, though, heaters can release carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas that easily kills people while they are sleeping. Propane heaters and stoves, gas water heaters, kerosene space heaters, and generators can all contribute to carbon monoxide injuries and deaths.
Sadly, carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States. Additionally, you may have heard of people using this gas for suicide attempts. Either way, exposure to carbon monoxide can cause brain damage and even death.
This gas builds up when areas are not properly ventilated. It can often build up at night, when devices are left on and unattended. Thus, because people cannot detect the substance, it can kill you in your sleep. Even if you are breathing the gas when you are awake, you may think that you are suffering from flu-like symptoms, as well as:
- Chest pain
If you believe that you are suffering from this problem, you should go to a hospital immediately. Also, inform people who might visit your house during your absence that they should avoid the building. You can call the fire department to have them find and eliminate the source of the gas. Additionally, for future protection, install carbon monoxide detectors in your house.
Faulty products or an improperly ventilated house can cause you or your loved ones to suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. This is a serious problem that can easily result in death to those that you love.
If a defective product, such as a space heater, has caused an unsafe buildup of carbon monoxide in your home, you should talk to a product liability lawyer about possible financial recompense. For more information, contact a Wisconsin product liability lawyer at the firm of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® today at 800-242-2874.